Tuesday 10 May 2011

Heading back to Istanbul

After Gallipoli we spent a couple of days in Ayvalik to 're-coup' after a massive couple of days and limited sleep. It was very needed and wanted and I think everyone enjoyed it.

The first night in Ayvalik we sussed out the disco under the hotel, they actually called in a DJ and opened it up just for us. It was pretty fun dancing away practically delirious with no sleep.
from past wold nights from members of our group, Barish had requested for the hotel not to call him during the night if there was a problem. I had asked him if i sustained a broken arm from severe dance moves, could I call him if I needed to go to the hospital... he didnt take me seriously. I meanwhile thought this was a valid question. haha.

Our first day off started off late and mitch and I were woken at 11.30am by Barish asking if i had broken my arm. thankfully no.
our whole group set off for a walk into the town we got an amazing feed. Mitch and I shared calamari that was so fresh and I had a pizza which was easily demolished. I think we all just enjoyed not eating buffet food. ick.
The rest of the day was spent doing a gym work out with tracey and jess (which was so very needed and i definitely felt like I had worked off the copious amounts of bread, chips, icecream I had eaten so far... ha) and a lazy swim in the indoor pool. so nice.
That night we graced the underground disco with our presence yet again and had another super late night.

We headed to Canakkale and stopped by Troy on the way. We watched the movie while we were driving there (mmmm delicious brad pitt) but unfortunatly i fell asleep half way through and missed out on the trojan horse part.
It has to be said that Troy was a disappointment. Its one of those places you can tick of your list to say you have been there rather than being a destination you HAVE to go to. I'd be very very happy not to set foot in troy again.
We walked around the 'ancient city' which was practically just ruins of rocks that doesnt look like anything in particular. They probably just stumbled across some spare land, threw some large rocks around and said it was troy. Its a believable story!!

When we finally got to Canakkale we were so tired. A nap was definitely in order. That night we headed out to a local bar where there was live rock music in english and turkish. It turned out to be a pretty good night!

The last leg of the trip was the drive back to Istanbul, this is when we stopped by gallipoli again.

No comments:

Post a Comment